My Current Location Atlanta, GA 30308

Access Your Account

New to Healthgrades?

Join for free!

Or, sign in directly with Healthgrades:

Doctors and their Administrators:
Sign Up or Log In

The Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment Team


Beth W. Orenstein

Was this helpful? (0)
Group of Doctors

Your primary care doctor may have diagnosed your rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and started you on treatment. But because RA is a progressive disease and new treatments to stop that progression are being introduced all the time, your care should also include a rheumatologist. A rheumatologist specializes in treating rheumatoid arthritis and other diseases of the bones, joints, and muscles. Your primary care doctor and your rheumatologist will work together. Your rheumatologist will design your personal RA treatment plan, and your primary care doctor will manage other aspects of your health.

Depending on your symptoms and any difficulties you're having, you might find it helpful to add other health care professionals to your RA treatment team. This can help you better manage your RA, relieve your joint pain and swelling, and treat any complications that interfere with day-to-day life. Your employer's insurance plan may refer you to a chronic disease manager (CDM) who can help you navigate around whatever challenges emerge. CDMs have the experience, the resources, and the contacts to help you thrive in the face of RA.

Your RA treatment team might include these professionals:

A personal trainer. Exercise is an extremely important part of maintaining your health when you have RA. It helps keep your joints flexible and you mobile and independent. A personal trainer can design an exercise program that you will enjoy and stick to. The right plan will protect joints and not put too much strain on them.

A physical therapist. If your joint pain is limiting your movement, a physical therapist can show you ways to move that will help reduce your joint pain. A physical therapist can also give you specific exercises to increase mobility.

An occupational therapist. If you have a hard time with daily activities, an occupational therapist (OT) can show you exercises and ways of accomplishing tasks that can help reduce the strain that RA puts on your joints. An OT may fit you for splints, braces, or other devices that will allow you to rest your joints. This specialist can also show you ways to conserve your energy when you’re feeling fatigued.

Watch Identifying Treatment Options

A pharmacist. The pharmacist who fills your prescriptions can tell you about possible side effects and how to minimize them. Your pharmacist can also watch for interactions with drugs you might be taking for other medical conditions. Some RA medications affect your immune system, which makes monitoring their effect on your overall health very important.

A podiatrist. Rheumatoid arthritis can affect your feet. In fact, more than 90% of people with RA experience problems with their feet and ankles that make walking difficult. A foot specialist, called a podiatrist, will evaluate your feet and suggest any needed treatment, which could include inserts for your shoes, braces, steroid injections, or, in some cases, surgery.

An orthopedic surgeon. If your joints are severely damaged and you need surgery to repair or replace them, your rheumatologist will refer you to an orthopedic surgeon. This is a surgeon trained to operate on the musculoskeletal system, including the joints. Orthopedic surgeons can perform joint replacements, reconstruct tendons, or remove inflamed synovial tissue, the membrane found inside your joints.

A psychologist or psychiatrist. Research shows that people with rheumatoid arthritis are twice as likely as others to develop depression. If you’re depressed, this not only affects your overall well-being, but it also makes you less likely to stick to your RA treatment regimen. A psychologist or psychiatrist can help you work through your depression and cope with the emotions of having a long-term disease.

Was this helpful? (0)
Medical Reviewers: William C. Lloyd III, MD, FACS Last Review Date: Jun 28, 2017

© 2016 Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.

View Sources

Medical References

  1. Primary Care Management of Rheumatoid  Arthritis.
  2. Rheumatoid Arthritis of the Foot and Ankle. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
  3. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Foundation.
  4. Depression and RA. Arthritis Foundation.
  5. Your Health Care Team. Arthritis Foundation.
  6. Handout on Health: Rheumatoid Arthritis. National Institutes of Health. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases.
  7. Rheumatoid Arthritis. American College of Rheumatology.

Watch: Managing RA

You Might Also Like

Share via Email


What to Know About Rheumatoid Arthritis Nodules


When Rheumatoid Arthritis Strikes Young

Up Next

When Rheumatoid Arthritis Strikes Young