Sensitive Skin Basics
How do you know if you have sensitive skin? There is no actual medical definition, but there are common symptoms.
Your skin may react to certain triggers with stinging, burning, itching, redness, or rashes. You might have to be careful with products you use to moisturize or wash your skin. Over time, you’ll learn that there are many tricks to calm your skin down and prevent irritation.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Misery L, Loser K, Stander S. Sensitive Skin. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2016;30:2-8. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jdv.13532/full
- Saint-Martory C, Roguedas-Contios A, Sibaud V, et al. Sensitive skin is not limited to the face. British Journal of Dermatology. 2008;1(130-133). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17986305
- Dry Skin – Self-Care. MedlinePlus. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000751.htm
- Stander S. Sensitive skin – a global challenge with upcoming solutions. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2016:30;1. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jdv.13533/full
- Misery L, Stander S, Szepietowski J, et al. Definition of Sensitive Skin: an Expert Position Paper from the Special Interest Group on Sensitive Skin of the International Forum for the Study of Itch. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2016: epub ahead of print. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26939643
- Basic Skin Care Tips. Cleveland Clinic. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/healthy_living/hic_An_Overview_ofYour_Skin/hic_Basic_Skin_Care_Tips
- Skin Allergy. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/skin-allergy
- Muizzudin N, Marenus K, Maes D. Factors defining sensitive skin and its treatment. American Journal of Contact Dermatitis. 1998;9(3):170-5. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9744910
- Farage M, Katsarou A, Maibach H. Sensory, clinical and physiological factors in sensitive skin: a review. Contact Dermatitis. 2006;55(1):1-14. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.0105-1873.2006.00886.x/full
- Misery L. Sensitive Skin. Expert Review of Dermatology. 2013;8(6):631-637. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/814679