My Struggle With Sensitive Skin
My skin is like a pair of white pants: everything shows up on it. My emotions, what I eat, what I touch, environmental elements—and, like a pair of white pants, it's just as difficult to treat.
It feels like everything has some kind of effect on me. In the winter, the cold air immediately dries out my skin. At least I can wear sweaters and scarves that cover up my acne and irritation, but that only makes it feel worse. In the summer, sweat makes my skin sting and burn while the added oils make me breakout more. After I take a shower or wash my face, if the water gets too hot, my skin gets red, itchy, dried out, and covered in what looks like hives. Even after getting dressed in the morning, I look like I got in a catfight, with red scratch marks all over my neck, chest, arms, and legs, from my clothing rubbing against my skin.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Misery L, Loser K, Stander S. Sensitive Skin. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2016;30:2-8. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jdv.13532/full
- Saint-Martory C, Roguedas-Contios A, Sibaud V, et al. Sensitive skin is not limited to the face. British Journal of Dermatology. 2008;1(130-133). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17986305
- Dry Skin – Self-Care. MedlinePlus. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000751.htm
- Stander S. Sensitive skin – a global challenge with upcoming solutions. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2016:30;1. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jdv.13533/full
- Misery L, Stander S, Szepietowski J, et al. Definition of Sensitive Skin: an Expert Position Paper from the Special Interest Group on Sensitive Skin of the International Forum for the Study of Itch. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2016: epub ahead of print. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26939643
- Basic Skin Care Tips. Cleveland Clinic. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/healthy_living/hic_An_Overview_ofYour_Skin/hic_Basic_Skin_Care_Tips
- Skin Allergy. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/skin-allergy
- Muizzudin N, Marenus K, Maes D. Factors defining sensitive skin and its treatment. American Journal of Contact Dermatitis. 1998;9(3):170-5. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9744910
- Farage M, Katsarou A, Maibach H. Sensory, clinical and physiological factors in sensitive skin: a review. Contact Dermatitis. 2006;55(1):1-14. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.0105-1873.2006.00886.x/full
- Misery L. Sensitive Skin. Expert Review of Dermatology. 2013;8(6):631-637. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/814679