Toasted Almond Quinoa Pilaf
Take this soft and fluffy quinoa recipe and add some crunch with toasted Marcona almonds.
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed under cold running water for 10 minutes
- 3 cups water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup of Marcona almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Method of Preparation:
1. In a small pot over low heat, combine the canola oil and onion.
2. Sweat the onion until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the quinoa and stir to coat with the oil.
4. Add the water, increase the heat, and bring to a boil.
5. Add the garlic, bay leaf and thyme.
6. Cover and simmer until the germ opens and it inflates in size, 25 to 30 minutes.
7. Add the salt, olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Fluff with a fork.
8. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove and discard the garlic, bay leaf, and thyme. Spread the quinoa on the rimmed baking sheet to cool. Once cool, transfer to a serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with the almonds, parsley, mint, and lemon zest. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
© 2018 Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.