This is my take on the classic Caesar salad, which was named after Caesar Cardini, the Italian chef credited with creating the famous recipe. It's got just the right bite and is chock-full of healthy ingredients.
- ½ lb. baby red and green romaine
- 6 tablespoons dressing
- 1 avocado, ripe and ready diced
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 4 tablespoons chickpeas, cooked
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, microplaned
- Cracked black pepper to finish
For the Dressing
- ½ cup chickpeas, cooked
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
1. In a small sauce pot, bring the olive oil to a boil with the garlic, reduce to a simmer and cook till tender, 15-20 minutes.
2. In a blender, combine all of the ingredients with the garlic oil and blend until smooth. Adjust the lemon if necessary. The dressing should taste like a zippy Caesar salad dressing.
3. For the salad, season the greens lightly with salt and pepper. Dress the greens with the chickpea dressing and add the remaining ingredients. Add the parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper and serve.
© 2018 Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.