Roasted Mushroom and Bread Soup
This delicious soup is a great way to get your veggies while going easy on your gut. To ease discomfort during flare-ups, cook the vegetables thoroughly and make sure to puree and strain the soup before chowing down.
Yields: 8 servings
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cups assorted mushrooms, washed and dried on paper towels
¼ cup shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon thyme leaves, picked off the stems
½ teaspoon curry powder
1 cup white wine
1 cups crusty bread, torn
3 cups vegetable stock
Fresh cracked pepper
Method of Preparation:
1. In a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high flame. Once the oil begins to lightly smoke, add the mushrooms. Do not move the mushrooms until the bottom starts to brown. When it begins to brown, stir once and continue to cook until the mushrooms are evenly browned. Reserve 1/3 of the mushrooms for garnish.
2. Add the shallots, carrots, garlic, thyme leaves, and curry powder. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the vegetables are softened, about another 5 minutes.
3. Add the white wine and deglaze the pan. Reduce the wine until evaporated completely.
4. Add the bread and vegetable stock, and cook until the liquid has reduced by 25%. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
5. Puree the mixture in a blender and strain if desired. For more texture, use a hand blender. Add more vegetable stock as needed to adjust the thickness for your preference. Serve with the reserved roasted mushrooms.
© 2018 Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.