Olive Oil Poached Cod
Serve this simple Olive Oil Poached Cod for your next elegant dinner or any night of the week. The protein-packed cod is deliciously seasoned with spices that will get your kitchen smelling great and your tummy feeling satisfied.
Yields: Serves 4
- 3 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 strip lemon, removed with a peeler
- 4 sprigs tarragon
- 2 bay leaves, dried
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 skinless cod fillets (6 oz each, 1.5-2in in thickness)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
Method of Preparation:
1. In a straight sided sauté pan just large enough to hold the cod in 1 layer, combine the oil, zest, tarragon, bay leaves, and pepper flakes. Heat over medium low heat until the oil reaches 200F on a candy/oil thermometer.
2. Season the cod with salt and pepper and gently place the oil in a single layer, making sure the cod is completely submerged in the oil. Poach until just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets. Remove from the heat and let the cod cool in the oil for 5 minutes, to firm the fillets and make them easier to handle.
3. Remove the fillets with a slotted fish spatula and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.