Belgian Waffles With Apple Butter and Ricotta
During a flare-up, people with Crohn’s disease may find it easier to digest white flour rather than whole-grain flour, which makes these yummy waffles the perfect brunch treat!
Top them off with some ricotta cheese and apple butter to celebrate the weekend.
Yields: 6 waffles
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 each large eggs, separated
2 cups almond milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
As desired apple butter
As desired ricotta cheese
Method of Preparation:
1. Begin by beating the egg whites to medium peaks in a stand mixer or with a handheld beater.
2. In a large mixing bowl mix the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, almond milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
4. Add the wet ingredients (minus the egg whites) to the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl and mix.
5. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the large bowl.
6. Heat a waffle iron and place an appropriate amount of batter (depending on the size) into the mold. Cook until caramelized on both sides.
7. Serve with a schmear of the apple butter and a tablespoon of ricotta (if desired).
© 2018 Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.