Baked Eggs With Green Chiles and Capers
Looking for a great brunch recipe? Look no further with Baked Eggs with Green Chiles and Capers. The chiles, capers and tomato provide a perfect nest for the eggs.
Yields: 6 servings
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, small diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 1 each green Serrano chile, finely sliced
- 4 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
- 1 each orange zest
- 1 each 32-ounce can San Marzano Tomatoes, strained and rough chopped
- 6 ounces San Marzano tomato puree
- 6 each eggs, whole
- ½ cup low fat parmesan cheese
- 1 cup baked croutons, ¾-inch
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a medium straight sided sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium flame. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chile, capers, oregano, and orange zest. Cook for 3 more minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and tomato puree. Bring to a slow simmer and cook until thickened, about 20-25 minutes.
4. Place the mixture at the bottom of an oval 8” baking dish. Form 6 small wells to hold the eggs.
5. Place the cracked eggs in each of the wells. Place the croutons around the eggs and finish with the Parmigiano Reggiano.
6. Bake the eggs until the yolk is still soft, but the whites are cooked, about 15 minutes.
© 2018 Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.