What to Avoid With Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin can take many forms. Sometimes, it will be a simple case of irritation; other times, it could be a serious outbreak of eczema with severe itching, redness, and even bleeding. Even more, it’s difficult to identify the triggers that might bring about flare-ups.
But there are things you can avoid to minimize irritating sensitive skin. The first thing you should do is visit your dermatologist to see if there is any underlying medical cause for your skin issue. In the meantime, stay away from the following.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Misery L, Loser K, Stander S. Sensitive Skin. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2016;30:2-8. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jdv.13532/full
- Saint-Martory C, Roguedas-Contios A, Sibaud V, et al. Sensitive skin is not limited to the face. British Journal of Dermatology. 2008;1(130-133). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17986305
- Dry Skin – Self-Care. MedlinePlus. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000751.htm
- Stander S. Sensitive skin – a global challenge with upcoming solutions. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2016:30;1. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jdv.13533/full
- Misery L, Stander S, Szepietowski J, et al. Definition of Sensitive Skin: an Expert Position Paper from the Special Interest Group on Sensitive Skin of the International Forum for the Study of Itch. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2016: epub ahead of print. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26939643
- Basic Skin Care Tips. Cleveland Clinic. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/healthy_living/hic_An_Overview_ofYour_Skin/hic_Basic_Skin_Care_Tips
- Skin Allergy. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/skin-allergy
- Muizzudin N, Marenus K, Maes D. Factors defining sensitive skin and its treatment. American Journal of Contact Dermatitis. 1998;9(3):170-5. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9744910
- Farage M, Katsarou A, Maibach H. Sensory, clinical and physiological factors in sensitive skin: a review. Contact Dermatitis. 2006;55(1):1-14. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.0105-1873.2006.00886.x/full
- Misery L. Sensitive Skin. Expert Review of Dermatology. 2013;8(6):631-637. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/814679