Swiss Chard Pesto With Almonds and Pecorino
This recipe for Swiss Chard Pesto with Almonds and Pecorino is a fabulous and easily digestible way to get vitamins and minerals from the chard, plus omega 3 fats from the almonds. During a flare-up, choose white or gluten-free pasta, and make sure the almonds and greens are well-blended.
Yields: 2 cups
- 3 bunches Swiss chard, stems removed
- ¾ cup almonds, toasted
- ¾ cup low fat pecorino cheese
- 1 clove garlic, grated on a microplane
- 2 each lemon zest and juice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground clove
- ¾ cup or as needed olive oil, extra virgin
Method of Preparation:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season with kosher salt. Prepare an ice water bath with a colander.
2. Blanch the Swiss chard in boiling water until tender about 2 minutes. Shock immediately in ice water. Drain by squeezing the leaves in a ball in a clean kitchen cloth.
3. Prepare a food processor. Place the cooked chard, almonds, pecorino, garlic, lemon, and spices in the machine.
4. Pulse until the mixture starts to form. Add enough olive oil to the mixture to just get it to come together, about ¾ cup.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.