Grilled Hanger Steak With Chickpea Tartare
Hanger steak is one of the easiest and most cost-effective things you can cook on your grill, and you can make it even better with this recipe for Chickpea Tartare.
Yields: 6 servings
- 2 10-ounce hanger steaks, cleaned
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed, dried well
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, diced ¼”
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ¼ cup flaxseed oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ cup low fat hard cheese
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat grill to medium high heat.
2. Put the onion in a strainer and rinse with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
3. Season the hanger steak on all sides with salt and pepper. Grill the hanger steak on one side, charring and rotating about 4 times on its sides. Each side should take about 3 minutes for medium rare temperature. The internal temperature should read 125F for medium rare.
4. Remove the hanger steak from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
5. When ready to serve, in a mixing bowl, combine the onion, chickpeas, tomatoes, olives, parsley, and garlic. Drizzle with the oil and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Toss well.
6. Top with low fat hard cheese, dried oregano, and lemon juice. Slice the hanger steak and arrange with the chickpeas. Drizzle with any remaining juices from the mixing bowl.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.